Monday, March 26, 2012

I scuba'd.... one time in my life.

I love to snorkel, surf and swim so naturally I thought I would enjoy scuba diving.  I never have before because you have to get licensed, pay like $300, come back the next day, but more than 1 day before you fly, yada yada yada.  However, in Boracay "this is not an issue" which I was told repeatedly that day - especially after barely passing my safety tests in 3 feet of water. 

What I didn't know is that this is NOT an OCD persons activity.  I immediately panicked when the instructor told me that someone's flipper could accidentally kick out my breathing thing and when this happens I have to find it, put it back in, clear it and then breath.  I cannot immediately go back to the surface.  Ever.  I asked for a cocktail.  They said it wasn't recommended, so I almost bailed out, prayed and somehow piled into the boat.


We didn't dive really deep (probably because of my earlier antics) but I fed a school of fish some bread and saw puffers, clown fish, crazy blue star fish.  I also earned myself some serious TMJ.  I held onto that breathing thing and my mask for all I was worth.  I was also constantly getting lost because I was determined to be at the head of the pack.  No way one of these guys was going to kick out MY breathing apparatus.  I also used an hour of air in about 40 mins.  In the boat, my instructor was like "were you hyperventilating down there?  That should have lasted you another 20 mins".  Yes mam, yes I was.  Future note: I don't like scuba diving (or the rats nest of hair that it leaves behind).

No comments:

Post a Comment